here for an Acrobat file version of this page.
For Advanced and Honors physics
To build a roller coaster to allow a sphere to travel a student designed
and student built course in exactly 6 seconds.
1) Entries may be designed and built by a either an individual
or a team of 2 students from any of the above classes.
2) You are limited to materials on the materials
list. Multiple mediums for the track are encouraged with extra points.
3) You must try to include at least vertical one
loop on the track. Massive points will be given for successfully
completing a loop. More loops, more points. If you are not able to build
with a loop, at least build the track! (You just wont get the
maximum amount of points)
4) Track must have at least 1 hill for
the "BB" to go up. Massive points will be given
for this hill. More hills, more points.
Hills must be a minimum of 4 cm above the tracks lowest point
prior to climbing the hill.
5) You must be able to see the "BB"
on the track for AT LEAST 1/2 of the total trip. Looking
through clear tubing does not count.
6) You must name your roller coaster and
have a theme. Tunnels and scenery are a must--you will get points for
decorations such as small signs, mountains, trees, random people, miniature
models etc..... Think about the Matterhorn or Thunder Mountain, or the
Pirates of Caribbean at Disneyland.
7) The roller coasters height is only limited by the ceiling
in the class room and the vehicle you are using to get it here. Hint:
The taller it is, the more energy you have to start out with and more
speed at the bottom!
8) A "BB" may be obtained from the teacher or you may
supply your own.
9) The roller coaster is to have a base no larger than the size
of an OPEN manila folder laid flat on the table. The manilla folder
will be supplied by the teacher or you may supply your own -18
10) The roller coaster MUST be stable.
11) The "BB" must go through the roller coaster and
be done by exactly 6 seconds. +/- 0.20 second increments
will cause deduction in points.
6) Timing will be done by stopwatch by the teacher
13) Timing will start when the student releases the ball.
14) Timing will stop when the ball reaches the end of the track
at the diagonally opposite corner.
15) If the ball flips off of the track, the timing will stop.
16) You may not touch the device at any time. Once the
ball is let loose and is going down the track or you will lose 2 points
17) The roller coasters track length may be as long as
you wish in length.
18) You must have at least 2 curved turns. Other turns
- Drops (through a funnel)
- zig zag sections
- 90 degree angle turns
19) The "BB" must only go through the track via the
force of gravity.
20) You will get 2 tries to make it work. The best score of 2
will be used.
21) The roller coasters track MUST end at
the diagonally opposite corner from where it began.
Monday or Tuesday, June 2nd or June 3rd during class.
Grade: 50 point test grade
The entry with the maximum number
of points wins the contest.
1. Building a feasible "BB" track on the board that
takes a "BB"
a minimum of 6 seconds to go through. 15 points
2. Decorations, scenery, painted/colorful, with trees etc......
(subjective score--judged by the teacher-Impress the teacher.)
3. 1 loop with success 4 points.
(extra loops with success......2 points each)
4. 1 hill with success (Minimum of 10 cm tall) 4 points
(extra hills with success......2 points each)
5. Time for completion---6 sec (when light is lit or ball stops)
*minus 1 point for every 0.10 sec above or below 6 sec.
8. Minimum of two curved turns 4 points
(Unlike hills and loops, extra curves do not add extra points.)
9. Track and ball end at the diagonally opposite corner to
the starting point 4 points
10. Not being able to see the "BB" for 1/2 of the
(example: "BB" is inside of straw pipe the whole trip) -
With multiple hills and loops, an entry can earn up
to 10 more points above the 50 listed above.
3 Bonus points for winning.
3 Bonus points for having built a coaster that can fit in the smallest
This will count as an extra 50 point grade. You may not earn more than